Friday, March 30, 2007

Module 3: Standards Task 2

This task involved vistiting the w3 (world wide web consortium) to validate my volcano web page.

My volcano web assignment was published on to the Curtin server in the students presentations area. I copied and pasted the URL into the w3 HTML page validator. Unfortunately I received the message.... "this document cannot be checked...Forbidden." This has obviously got something to do with the Curtin server. Looks like no way around this one....

I then re-published my volcano web project onto a private server. I re-copied the URL "
http://www.mcmasters.com.au/uni/test/" into the page validator, and I received a result....

Unfortunately the result was not positive. There were 6 validation errors.

1. Error Line 26 column 8: start tag for "LI" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this.

2. Error Line 27 column 5: document type does not allow element "LI" here.
  • Introduction

  • 3. Error Line 28 column 5: document type does not allow element "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag.
  • Volcano Terminology

  • 4. Error Line 29 column 5: document type does not allow element "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag.
  • Volcanic Places in the USA

  • 5. Error Line 30 column 5: document type does not allow element "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag.
  • Volcanic Places on Mars

  • 6. Error Line 31 column 5: document type does not allow element "LI" here; missing one of "UL", "OL", "DIR", "MENU" start-tag.
  • Research Project

  • I have read through all of the explanations of the errors listed. They all sound incredibly technical. I was surprised that I received any errors at all because I had followed the tutorial closely. I am a little bit confused, because although the project apparently has errors, they are not visible in my browsers, Firefox and IE.

    Just out of interest I decided to validate another website. I thought I would try the ninemsn site because of the fact that it has thousands of visitors everyday. I also reasoned that it would have a team of highly paid and professional IT people working on it who would probably have a fair idea of whats going on.

    Surprisingly the validation failed with a total of 308 errors !! I can only assume that the ninemsn site has been built to be viewed in a wide range of browsers, anything less would be unacceptable....I certainly never had any problems visiting it...I am confused as to why this would be, so I think I will raise it on a discusion board.

    No comments: