Thursday, March 15, 2007

Module 2: Email lists (2)

Are there certain kinds of communication or purposes more suited to one than the other?

Email lists are a more formal means of communication. I check and sort my email everyday. It's a more personal mode of communication. For instance, if I received a group of emails relating to a certain topic, I would feel obliged to respond.

With a discussion board I could pick up a thread and add to it only if I wanted to. Even if I found a topic I found really interesting, I would not necessarily feel obliged to respond. There is the choice to be more invisible, gleaning pieces of information as they become available. Having said that, it is an easier, and more naturtal way to partipate in a conversation by adding to a thread which interests you. Time factor is another important advantage in choosing to be a member of a discussion board. Why sort through piles of email on a subject which may not even interest you, With discussion boards you can easily choose to pick up a conversation thread or not.

To summarize, if you wanted information which you considered important, presented in a formal manner, then an email list would suit your needs.

If you prefer a more natural way to partipate in an online conversation, with time and convience being important factors, then a discussion board would be better suited to your needs.

No comments: