Monday, March 5, 2007

Module 1 Tasks: FTP

FTP is an application which I use almost everyday so I felt a lot more comfortable completing this task.

The software I use is ACE FTP PRO 3. Its a relatively simple FTP program, but one which enables files to be moved from my computer to any remote location without any problems.

Step 1. For this assignment I entered the Cutain adress into the URL field of my FTP software and was immediately able to veiw the directory structure of Curtains server.
Step2 - From here it was a simple matter of navigating to the readme file on Curtains server: /Anonymous/MSC/readme.txt.

The answer to the question is :"This server runs on a unix platform, so CAPITALIZATION MATTERS"

Conclusion: FTP is about the transferring of files back and forth between computers and it's something I use everyday. The graphical nature of the interface makes this process as simple and efficient as possible. FTP is software which anyone who is involved in the transferring of files, or the development of websites should have on their computer.

No comments: